Friday, December 10, 2010

My Dad Teaches Us "WE"

“WE>me”
I learned the concept at an early age. It’s funny, the little things that stick in your memory... My father seldom missed any of my soccer games growing up, even still today. At any rate, something my dad said after a closely contended 1-0 win was a lesson that I will never forget. Thirteen giddy young athletes celebrating in the dressing room as if we had just won the World Cup. My dad asked us “who scored the goal?” WE all pointed at the goal scorer, thinking it was a pretty obvious answer, considering there was only one goal. He looked at us and told us that there is a better way to answer his question. He told us all that mattered is that "WE" scored. It didn’t matter which particular player put the ball in the net, as long as he was wearing our colours. WE didn’t win because one player scored, WE won the game because WE scored a goal. Just as importantly, as a team, WE didn’t allow the other team to score.
This was and is a simple idea that can really be the difference between Success and Failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment